Swisslog brings supply chain automation to vertical farming to reduce costs, increase scalability and promote sustainability
Swisslog, leading provider of best-in-class warehouse automation and software, creates automation systems that bring scalability, flexibility and lower costs to vertical farming, allowing them to be installed and maintained in a wide range of pre-existing and purpose-built spaces. These systems help broaden the applicability of growing crops and bring food production closer to consumers in densely populated urban areas.
16 March, 2021
The broad portfolio of Swisslog automation solutions provides enormous flexibility in customizing systems and configurations based on the strategy, growing process, crop type and space availability of the vertical farming operation. For instance, one approach could use a shuttle system with a modular design, such as Swisslog’s PowerStore high density shuttle system. In this possible installation, automated shuttles would move around discrete plant shelving units inside an enclosed room or facility. Each shelving unit could hold multiple plant trays, depending on plant growth height needs. Shelving units would move around the enclosed space based on the needs of the plants for water, nutrients, light, planting, germination, maintenance, harvesting and monitoring.
- Orchestrating the process by using essential parts of Swisslog’s SynQ management software to support automated flow in production of the plant.
- Enabling installation into in diverse types of spaces (e.g. abandoned warehouses in urban centers, unused floor space in office buildings or new purpose-built facilities)
- Lowering the cost of labor for harvesting, planting and logistics.
- Reducing energy use by optimizing lighting system.
- Decreasing costs of nurturing the plant by using unique space management arrangement
- Shrinking transportation costs by enabling vertical farming to be placed closer to point of sale.
Swisslog is working with farming companies and grocers to explore potential applications and installations and has a number of pilot installations currently in operation. The company expects a larger customer application of the automation system to be deployed by summer 2021.
Head Swisslog Global Marketing & Communications Swisslog
Phone: +41 79 914 35 75
Swisslog delivers data-driven & robotic solutions for your logistics automation alongside reliable, modular service concepts. Collaborating with forward-thinking companies, we are committed to setting new standards in warehouse automation to provide future-proof products and solutions. As part of the KUKA Group, our customers trust the competence of our passionate employees – more than 14,000 people working across the globe.