History of Swisslog
Swisslog traces its roots back to Sprecher + Schuh AG, founded in the year 1900 in the Swiss town of Aarau. Initially, the company’s primary area of activity was energy distribution.
Beginning in the mid-1980s, its core businesses were sold to the French Alstom Group and the U.S. company Rockwell/Allen-Bradley. Increasingly, Sprecher + Schuh began to focus on automation technology, today’s core business. Acquisitions such as Translift, Digitron and OWL expanded the group.
In 1994, Sprecher + Schuh changed its name to Swisslog and quickly established itself as a leading global provider of best-in-class automation solutions for hospitals, warehouses and distribution centers recognized for its outstanding expertise, service and quality.
In December 2014, KUKA, a leading global supplier in the fields of robotics, automation and systems engineering, acquired Swisslog. Since August 2015, Swisslog has been fully integrated in the KUKA Group. With this strong strategic partner, Swisslog strengthens its position as a leading innovator, combining its automation and industry expertise with best-in-class software and robotics solutions from KUKA.
By the end of 2016, the Chinese Midea Group acquired the majority of the KUKA Group.